Friday, August 4, 2017

Book Review: The Crimson Crown

Title: The Crimson Crown
Author: Cinda Williams Chima
Rating: 5/5 Stars
Series: Seven Realms (Book 4)

This book made me happy. Very, very happy. The Grey Wolf Throne was a disappointment due to pacing issues and the fact that the last 12 chapters of the book were just... eh. I was kinda nervous to pick this one up because it was 600 pages long and 37 chapters and I didn't want to have to drag myself through the last half of the book (or all of the book) just because I felt like I had to hear the series out. Luckily, this one felt like a flashback (in a good way) to The Demon King!

 I was super into the story, I liked Han's chapters a lot better than in the previous book, and still liked Raisa's chapters as well! I felt like there was the appropriate amount of action in the right amount of time, and there was no drag or super boring parts where I lost interest. All in all, I felt like this series really redeemed itself with the final installment!

LIKES:
+ Han's chapters were much more interesting than in the last book! They focused less on being super obsessed and in love and all that and more on the actual plot and interesting details and stuff like that. Although he did get kinda gushy again in the last 7 chapters or so but we will just pretend that never happened.
+ Betrayal. Twists. Turns. Suspense. I was on the edge of my seat! (I wasn't actually, because there wasn't enough space, but if I could have been I would have!)
+ There was a lot more action in this book than the last one, but the pacing was slower, so it was pretty much perfect.
+ There was still more character development, which made me super happy. I hate it when characters become stagnant halfway through the series, and then just get super flat.

DISLIKES:
- Micah Bayar. If I had to describe him throughout the entire series it would consist of shortest paragraph ever. He said the same couple things over and over again and I was hoping there was some super deep reason to his evilness but it never got fully explained?
- I am secretly kinda evil and was hoping that at the end a certain character would die because it would be somewhat out there but they survived... (I haven't figured out a way to hide spoilers on this yet so bear with me as I work this out)
- Poor Han just cannot catch a break. I'm just saying
- The series ended. Which made me sad. Also the last 3 chapters really confused me, although it may have just been the sleep deprivation.
- I really didn't like that some characters were really rigid and unwilling to change, but then all of a sudden were still good friends with Raisa? They would have these diabolical plans and then Raise was totally cool with them still hanging around.

Overall I really liked this book and I felt like it pulled the series back together! I am definitely going to read Chima's other books, and hopefully they will be just as good! I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in fantasy and looking for a good read! Just plow through the third book and you will be good to go.

See this review on Goodreads. (Spoilers are hidden but included in my Goodreads review)

No comments:

Post a Comment