Friday, August 25, 2017

Book Review: The Mime Order [Mild Spoilers]

Title: The Mime Order
Author: Samantha Shannon
Rating: 2/5 Stars
Series: The Bone Season (Book 2)

Warning: Mild-ish spoilers ahead. Read at your own risk.

I finished this yesterday but my brain is apparently a big bag of mush and I cannot retain anything so apologies in advance for yet another rambling and disorganized review. One day I will be completely on top of things, probably the same day that I can look at my TBR without getting short of breath.

I feel like this book was, in a way, pretty forgettable. I mean, I read The Bone Season 11 days ago and remember the events of that much better than I remember the events of this book, which should really tell you something. I feel like the last couple chapters of this book should have turned into the first couple chapters of the third book and then this book should have just...not existed...

Basically it picks up where the last book left off, and the first like 40% of the book is Paige deciding if she should go back to Jaxon or not. For some reason I imagine this as Paige pacing back and forth wearing a track in the ground but that's not what happened there was some other stuff thrown in there as well but it obviously wasn't interesting enough for me to remember... and then the last 60% is Warden-filled but also probably the most interesting part of the book. Not the Warden part. But the action part because betrayal, tension, mystery, all that jazz.

LIKES:
+ The last part of the book was awesome. Lots of action, mystery, etc. as well as some betrayal and subversive plots because why not chuck that in there too? I loved it, it reminded me of why I decided to continue reading the series even though the first one made me a puddle of uncertain mush. (I have issues when reading a series. As in, once I read the first one I feel obligated to read all of the others even if they were supremely terrible. Because you can't just abandon a series, who does that?! I have gotten better as my TBR has grown though, because no one has time to read an awful series with that monstrous pile staring straight at you...)
+ Excluding the first 40% of the book, I felt like the book moved the plot along quite nicely. There was actually a reason for everything/what was going on, I was drawn into the story, AND I chose to read it instead of studying for my tests because what is studying. All I know how to do is put it off and read books because... TBR lists...
+ I really liked how we got to know some of the secondary characters better, as well as their backstories. Because if there's one thing I hate (besides romance, love triangles, etc.) it's flat secondary characters

DISLIKES:
- The first 40% of the book because what was that even. I'm an indecisive person (MAJORLY indecisive) and even I was getting frustrated. PICK PAIGE, PICK.
- Warden because why does he have to get involved in EVERYTHING.
- Romance
-Some of the events at the end were confusing, and maybe it's just because my brain = mush but I got lost.
- Still upset with the slang. And the whole order-tree although there was a helpful guide in the back of this one probably because a lot of people didn't understand the slang in the first one!

I know a couple people who really liked this book, it just wasn't my cup of coffee (not tea because I hate tea). I feel like the first part of it was just way too slow for me to get interested, and the second part had to work overtime to make it up.

See this review on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment